Saturday, July 19, 2003

Spy Kids 2 Birthday Party

We had Keisha's birthday party this afternoon. It was a great success. I'm not used to playing host to these kinds of things, and I find myself feeling insecure: Is so-and-so feeling "tied-in" with everyone else? She looks bored. You have the usual, gregarious folk that congregate together, of course.

Not everyone we invited showed up. Keisha was initially a little disappointed. But that dissipated once others started arriving. My aunt and uncle drove up from Cincinnati, with their daughter DJ, who is a little younger than Keisha's age. Also, two boys from Keisha's class in school came over.

I had grilled some hotdogs and bratwurst before the party started, and mom and Jennie set everything else up. We had all the guests help themselves to the food, and I started the movie "Spy Kids 2". After about a half hour, I could tell that some of the kids were a bit distracted ("When are we gonna have cake and ice cream? When is Keisha gonna open her presents?").

We decided to stop the movie midway to serve the cake and ice cream and for Keisha to open her presents. Once that was over with, I asked them if they wanted to watch the rest of the movie. Most of them had decided to do other things, and others had to go to other birthday parties. Eventually, the only kids left were Keisha and DJ, who were playing with Keisha's new Barbie stuff.

I decided to finish the movie, play the music video, and rewatch it with the director's commentary.

Now, I just hope there is a little bit of time before Keisha starts planning next year's birthday party. Mom said earlier that next year's color is going to be brown. That's right, folks, my daughter changes her favorite color each year. Two years ago, it was green. Last year it was pink. Now for her 6th year it's blue.

This kid practically has her whole life planned out. What an imagination.

No comments: