Thursday, July 17, 2003

Out She Comes!, Part 2

I had been an emotional wreck the entire month of July 1997. Pressures from work, anxiety about becoming a father for the first time, and other responsibilities at church and elsewhere, meant that I had to spend a lot of time in prayer. I remember at least one nearly all-night prayer time along the Great Miami River in Dayton, begging God for the strength:

As I filled up the gas tank in Sidney and headed south on I-75 on July 17th, I continued praying. Thankful to God, but greatly nervous about what was going on. I think I was concerned for both Jennie and Keisha. I really wanted to make it to the hospital in time. Fortunately, I had an hour's worth of drive time.

When I got home, I rushed in to find Jennie all ready to go. I grabbed the suitcase with her clothes. I also had a tape recorder that I had been using for about a week to record the thoughts that were rushing through my mind.

We left for Miami Valley Hospital, and I spoke to the tape recorder, describing what was going on. I then asked Jennie for her comments. She said something like, "I think Daddy is more nervous than anyone right now." It was the truth.

We arrived at the hospital parking garage and headed for the admission area. We completed all the paperwork that was necessary. Because Jennie wasn't in active labor -- it was later determined that, when the doctor said her water had broken, it was a "slow leak" - otherwise things would have been different.

to be continued...

Entire series:

-----
Check out my other blogs:
Daniel Johnson, Jr.
Get That Job!
Journey Inside My Mind Blog
Journey Inside My Mind Podcast
QuotesBlog
Twitter.com/danieljohnsonjr
Connect on LinkedIn
Interesting Things I've Read

Related tags:

No comments: