Monday, July 14, 2003

Admitting Struggles with Mental Illness

On blogs4God today, I read where Ben had shared his thoughts on admitting his struggles with depression.

I felt compelled to share from my own experiences. My comments:

Ben,

I struggle with chronic depression, anxiety, and I have ADHD. I've noticed some tendencies toward obsessive-compulsive behavior, too. Finally, I self-injure -- I pick at scabs, because the physical pain feels better than emotional discomfort I may be feeling.

I believe that a lot of this is biological. Some of it is within my control. I currently see a therapist and a psychiatrist. I take medicine for depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I've seen benefits.

I recognize that there are aspects of how I feel that are within my control, and there are other aspects that are not, but are more to do with what's going on inside, from a physiological perspective.

I've been able to see this, I believe, because I talk about it with others in person, at doctor/therapist appointments, and in my writing.

I've seen aspects of myself in the demon-possessed man we read about in Mark 5.

I've learned more about God's grace and mercy, and I've struggled with a low self-esteem (Why do I have to deal with this? Why are certain things harder for me to deal with than it is for other people? Why did God make me this way?) I encourage myself with Psalm 139 - recognizing that I am fearfully and wonderfully made; i.e., God don't make no junk.

These are just some thoughts. Feel free to contact me to share about what you're feeling, along with any comments you might have about what I've said.
I hope that by me sharing my own experiences that it builds mine and others' faith. Also, I would love to correspond with anyone else who struggles with these things.

No comments: