Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Remembering the Past: Dad's Bike

I cannot remember exactly how old I was, but I know that I was in either junior high or high school when it happened. Dad would let me use his bike to ride around during the summer. It had a bike chain lock on it. I loved riding that bike. My dad and stepmother would let me head off for the entire day as long as I showed up in time for dinner:

One of the things I liked doing was going to the Service Merchandise store on Colerain Avenue, across from Northgate Mall. I loved looking at the electronics, especially the keyboards. Well, on this particular day, I didn't lock Dad's bike up because I thought I'd only be in the store for a short time.

In typical ADHD fashion, I wound up spending at least an hour, fixated on all the stuff that was inside the store. When I came back out to leave, the bike was gone.

I think I called home to see if June (my stepmother) would come pick me up, because I was pretty far away from home to walk. I felt so terrible, and I knew I was going to get it from my Dad. I went to my room and waited until he came home from work.

I didn't know what to say, except to tell him what happened. I think I was grounded for a little while.

A few years later, still feeling a little bit guilty about the situation, I had enough money from a part-time job, and I bought two new 12-speed bikes: one for me and one for my Dad. I gave him his bike on Father's Day, and I used mine when I went to college.

I don't remember him using it that much, though. I think my younger brother Jason wound up using it.

No comments: