Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Dating My Wife

When Jennie and I were dating in 1994, I had just moved up to Dayton, and she still lived in the Cincinnati area. We'd see each other maybe three times a week. This was before we got engaged, which is a completely different story.

We started a tradition as our dates would end:

There was a White Castle restaurant close to where she lived, and we'd stop there before I dropped her off at her house (We didn't live together before we were married; I don't think that would have been what Jesus would have done, actually.). We both liked their coffee and vanilla shakes, and we'd order one of each and then split them both by pouring half of one into the other, and vice versa. Then we'd hang out for a bit until we'd finished our "mochas." It was a really good 'bonding' time for both of us, and helped us deal with the reality that I'd be heading back to Dayton after I took her home.

As I took Jennie to work this morning, that memory just popped in my mind. Yesterday she was off work, and we went to McDonald's to order some of the McGriddle sandwiches that I used to mock. They're actually really good. Maybe that experience is what helped me to remember our dates from 9 years ago.

No comments: