Tuesday, July 15, 2003

House, Attorney, Open House, Dessert, Prayer

Our house is on the market to be sold as a "short-sell", which, in simplistic terms, means that the mortgage company agrees to let our house be sold for less than we owe on it, based on our financial situation:

On Saturday, while we were at the park, our realtor brought someone through the house, and this individual has made an offer.

We had a very brief meeting with a bancruptcy attorney yesterday. I like this guy. He came out in his white socks; i.e., without any shoes on. His office was huge, too. I had had an ADHD moment, in which I originally wrote down that our appointment was at 4PM in two areas of my planner, but when I transferred it to the daily page, I wrote it down as being at 4:30PM.

So, we had to reschedule the appointment. This was a good thing, since we still have much paperwork to go through. I only went through the upstairs mail yesterday. We have an entire table and then some to go through downstairs. I told the lawyer that I'd been in denial, and he replied that my behaviour was typical. He encouraged us to continue going through the mail... that the mail cannot hurt us... that there's no such thing as debtor's prison (it was done away with 200 years ago - thank God!).

The attorney also gave us a more realistic understanding of what our options were, including some stipulations that are present with us doing a short-sell.

After Jennie and I came home, we took Keisha to her new school, Valerie Elementary, for the open house. It was encouraging to see all the parents there, to meet Keisha's Kindergarten teacher, and to see some parents and kids we'd known from Gettysburg, the school Keisha attended last year. I think it's a bit of an understatement to say that Keisha is excited about going to Kindgergarten, and I think we're all going to enjoy it with her.

After we came home, Keisha did something that was just so sweet. Entirely on her own, she pulled out 4 bowls, 4 spoons, and made sure that there were 4 cups. She then went to the freezer to get the two half-gallon containers of ice cream and made us all dessert! No one told her to do that; she decided to do it on her own! That's MY daughter, people! :D

Then, after Jennie and Keisha headed downstairs, I walked outside to talk to Mom. I asked her if she wanted to pray together with me about all the stuff going on with us, along with some specific prayers for certain individuals. That was just great. I love my Mom!

No comments: