Friday, July 25, 2003

Jesus Was A Blood Donor!

Yesterday, 24 July 2003, I donated blood at the local Community Blood Center in downtown Dayton. It had been so long since I last donated that I couldn't remember when it was. I have to wait at least 8 weeks for the red blood cells to regenerate before I can donate again, which means that I'll be able to donate again on Thursday, 18 September 2003.

I first donated blood when I was 17 years old at a blood drive held at our high school. I have good veins, the phlebotomists say, for donating. For most of my recent donations, I've used my left arm, since I'm right-handed. Last night, the phlebotomist recommended I start alternating because of the scar tissue that has formed in my left arm from donating so much. We'll see.

I don't like needles, but I donate anyway. I usually am a bit nervous when the nurse pricks my finger to check if there is enough iron in it. Then, when I head back to the blood collection area, I cannot look at the needle as the phlebotomist injects it in me. My wife, on the other hand, is different: she wants to see what's going on.

The inside of my elbows are extremely ticklish. Hence, I giggle and wriggle when the phlebotomist cleans the area with antiseptic and iodine. This always makes the other staff members chuckle, too.

The entire experience of donating, from the time I arrived to the time I was finished, took about 45 minutes to an hour.

I share this experience for my own benefit so that I'll remember to donate in September. I also share this to encourage you, gentle readers, to consider donating blood. I understand that there are many medical reasons why some individuals cannot. I've been ill a lot this year, and that has prevented me from donating earlier. But even if you are not able to donate, you can still send out the message to others who might be able to do so.

I titled this post, "Jesus Was A Blood Donor!" as a reminder that Jesus gave his blood so that we could be healed:

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. (1 Peter 2:24)
. When I meditate on his "blood donation," I am more willing to endure a little discomfort - if you could even call it that - so that someone else can get a chance to live.

Take care!

No comments: