Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Mind Change through Bible Study

I decided yesterday that I really needed a mind change. I was feeling so much angst, which you could probably tell from yesterday's post (see "A Collection of Negative Emotions"). So I decided to spend some time in my Bible:

Others Who'd Suffered

First, I read through the story of Joseph, in the book of Genesis. Next I read through the first few chapters of Judges. Then, I realized that what I really needed was the encouragment found in Romans 8. The entire chapter is very encouraging, because there are several different thoughts conveyed there.

Suffering In Perspective

As I read through the chapter, I stopped when I found verse 18:

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
I began to meditate on the "future glory," and that helped me to get a little bit more perspective.

Praying About It

Also, it's been hard to pray about this. There is so much going on that I often don't know what specifically to pray. Then I read this passage:
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
So that helped, too.

Waiting for God

After this, I read through a number of the Psalms, and I noted that the recurring theme of "waiting for God" was present. How hard it is to wait! I feel like I've been waiting for so long for things to get better. To some extent, they have; but, in another sense, they haven't. I find myself asking, "How much longer do I have to wait, Lord?"

Feeling Entitled

I guess I also have been struggling with this concept of entitlement. I feel that I should be entitled to have a good credit rating, that I should have a successful job, that I should be able to pay all my bills on time, that I should be able to pay on our mortgage and not lose our house. But God never promises any of that. I'm realizing that, the only thing I need is Him. I get to have my wife, daughter, and mom live with me. We have food, shelter, clothing. All of these other things that are typical in our Western lifestyle are not guaranteed by God.

Give and Take

He is also showing how easily he can take all of it away. It's revealing much about where my heart is, to say the least:
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Answered Prayers

I remember, as a young Christian, praying to God, "Give me more faith!" along with other things. At the time, I just wanted a more godly character. I had no idea that God would answer my prayers in this manner. Would I have still prayed the same prayers? Probably.

That Song I Wrote

I'm reminded of a song I wrote back then, based on struggles I was going through. It still applies. It's called "Tough Enough To Bend."

No comments: