Sunday, March 23, 2003

This Thing Is Real

This recent email comes from my friend and brother in Christ, Dave F., who is serving in the US Navy on an aircraft carrier during Operation Iraqi Freedom:

Hi!!

How is everything on the home front? Reality came to some of us today. I can't go into detail on this, but as a stretcher carrier I saw things I wished I could unsee. I did what I could to help out. When it was all over I went and sat on my rack and prayed for a bit. The cost of war is high but sometimes necessary. I just pray that God uses the outcome to further open the door for him to be introduced to the people. Otherwise the loss of life and worldly liberation of Iraq will be for naught. I'm also praying that what ever happens, for this to be short to keep the losses on both sides low. I am sorry this is not a happy email.

Outside of that things have been pretty normal. The Chiefs and some Officers were working in our galley today. It was kind of fun to watch. The food was better than normal. I mentioned that to one chief and jokingly asked what we had to do to get them to continue working in our galley. My senior chief was working in the scullery (sink area). I saw him at one point as he was pushing a cart full of plates lift himself up and ride it briefly like a kid does a shopping cart in a store. That was amusing and a good break from the day's earlier events.

I have to go now. What I did today was only a fraction of what could have been. When you think about us out here pray for those disciples who are ashore and going through this. They are in the thick of this and dealing with it on a more personal basis. In the meantime I am still praying for you and the Body. I still see the changes you are going through as a time for strengthening.

'Rumor' has it we may see land sometime in the next few weeks. I can not specify when, but from everyone I have talked to, the date has been constant. Hopefully we can meet then. I am not holding my breath on this, but please pray that it happens. We were supposed to see land twice already but those plans got yanked. Of all the ships that came out with us, ours and one other ship are the only ones that have not visited land. I would so much like to visit the disciples here.

YBiC (Your Brother in Christ),

Dave

No comments: