Monday, March 03, 2003

Friends in the Fight for Enduring Freedom

Last Thursday I learned that another of our close friends, who serves in the Army Reserves, will likely be sent out very soon. We learned this from his wife; they have two kids. She mentioned that it will likely be a 12-month stint, which means that she will, for all intents and purposes, become a single mom during that time.

I am blessed to receive email rather regularly from another friend, Dave F., who is stationed somewhere in the Atlantic. In his recent email, he writes:

Yesterday we picked up all of our misdirected mail. There was 7 tons that were sent to the wrong location. I got one small package that made me very happy. For everyone it was like a visit from Santa. A lot of people received and shared brownies and cookies. I'm sure they were fresh when they were baked but it took so long that most of it was dry when it got here. We didn't care one bit though and thought they tasted great. I guess it was just knowing that they came from home. It's was encouraging to see the sharing. I am told they are still sorting through the mail.

When I first left I packed a few DPI books, the disciples handbook and the song book. I packed the song book hoping to go to a church service out here. My song book has stayed in my sea bag through out the whole trip until today. For what ever reason I felt the urge to dig it out today. People who know me, know I don't sing by myself. I jokingly live by the motto 'The Bible says make a joyful noise so I keep my mouth shut' ;) There I was with my song book looking over some of my favorite songs and just began singing some of them to myself. For those moments I felt 2 things. I had a strong feeling of peace that was with me and second, I felt like I was standing there with the Body. I can't describe it beyond that but it was great.

I have to go. I thought I would share some of this encouragement with you. Thank you for the email and most importantly your prayers. They have helped me so much to stay in the fight. I thought we were going to visit a port with disciples but that was changed. That was the reason we had the steel beach BBQ. I would have traded one hour with disciples over the day of recreation. Take care of yourself and I hope to hear from you soon :D

No comments: