Saturday, March 29, 2003

Military Support Ministry - Request for Prayer

Request for Prayer from Rich Garner - Military Support Ministry - Friday, March 14, 2003

As moderator for the Military Support Ministry on UpCyberDown, I often get requests for contact information, church locations, and other tid bits that help our deployed brothers and sisters stay connected to the fellowship. But recently, my inbox has been swamped with a frightening amount of email... questions, concerns, pleas... regarding one haunting threat; war.

Several brothers have informed me of their deployment plans and have requested that I put them in touch with Christians in their deployment locations. Some have announced their support for the U.S. troops. Others have voiced concerns over Biblical implications of the situation in the Middle East region. But the one reason I felt compelled to write this is the need for prayers. Not only do I get prayer requests in my Military Support inbox, but also my church email and the message boards that I moderate.

Recently, a brother contacted me and asked that we get a prayer request out to all the churches around the world. After seeing miraculous repentance and efforts at unity within the International churches, I believe this is an attainable goal.

I realize that our military ministries are comprised of hundreds of different nations... but all of us will be affected in some way or another by the US led invasion of Iraq. Therefore, on behalf of all brothers and sisters in arms that are in harms way, faithful family and friends back home and concerned Christians everywhere, I am requesting a day of prayer on Sunday March 23th, 2003, from all churches that are able to read this message.

The goal is for each church to offer prayers and petitions to God for 24 hours beginning any time on Sunday March 23th, 2003. Each church would decide the best way to accomplish the goal. (If some churches are reading this article after March 23th, be faithful that God will still hear your prayers on any day after that.)

The purpose of the prayer day is to ask God for three things:
  1. Protection and safe return home (wherever home may be) for everyone involved in the war,
  2. Wisdom, peace and faith that only Jesus can bring in times of war and
  3. Successful spread of His Word throughout the Middle East region.
The Bible tells us that Jesus will not return until the Word of God has been preached to the entire world. Therefore I believe our prayers should focus on the Word of God being powerfully spread throughout the region and the baptism of everyone in those nations. Peace of mind and protection from harm should also be asked as well as increasing faith as we see God work miracles in a land of conflict.

So, I put this to every God-fearing, Christ-loving person who reads or hears this message. Let our voices unite in praise and worship and let us ask of our Father what He has promised us in John 14:13... "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

And to God be the Glory,
Rich Garner

No comments: