Wednesday, July 14, 2004

We're Rollin' Again - Sort Of

Jennie got a nice paycheck last week, and we three got new bikes. It's been ten years since I've ridden a bike. The last one I owned lay in a crumpled heap until we moved when Keisha was born.

Tonight I did battle with Keisha's bike. All I wanted to do was to put training wheels on. It turns out that the bike has gears and other stuff that gets in the way. I didn't believe it, so I took the derailleur, as it's called, off, installed the training wheels, and then tried to put it back on.

What followed were a couple - at least - hours of trying different ways of getting the bike to go back together with training wheels, and, finally, resorting to putting the derailleur back on in hopes of getting the bike to the condition it was before I started messing with it.

Jennie and I bought our bikes this afternoon at Meijer and planned to take the bus home. RTA buses have bike racks installed. Unfortunately, when our bus arrived, someone else's bike was already on it, and the driver said that we couldn't bring the other bike on the bus.

I kissed Jennie goodbye and headed off to get ready to ride the bike home - it's virgin trip, you might say. It only took 26 minutes, and I'm a better man for it, to be sure.

No comments: