Saturday, July 03, 2004

Waking Up The Neighborhood

I understand that it's a Saturday night, but the loud music and car horns have got to go when it's eleven o'clock and people are in bed trying to sleep:

Apparently, I wasn't the only who noticed. While waiting for Jennie's taxicab to pick her up for work a little while ago, I saw two sheriff's cruisers pull up to the car from which the noise originated. Harrison Township has a noise ordinance, and the police do enforce it.

I was about to go over to the vehicle to ask where the person he was honking for lived. I was perfectly willing to go knock on that person's door for him, since he seemed too lazy to do it himself and instead chose to wake up everyone in the complex with his honking and loud music.

Jennie convinced me not to do it, which was ultimately the safest way of dealing with it. I mean, I was willing to call the police, too, but someone else had beat me to it.

When we'd hear the honking, we thought it was Jennie's cab. Although she'd ordered it two hours before she needed it, it was still late. We called another cab company to order one from them. We then waited to see who arrived first.

I walked outside in response to the honking, cordless phone in hand, and stood there for a few minutes. It was then that the police cruisers arrived and took care of the situation.

Oddly enough, Jennie's cab (from the first company) arrived, too, but it was unable to get to our apartment building because the two sheriff's cruisers were in the way at first.

When I told Jennie about the police and her cab, I also mentioned that I'd overheard the deputy tell the man occupying the loud vehicle that they'd received a number of complaints about the loud music. I then thought that this young fella might think that I'm one of the complainers, since I had phone in hand and was waiting outside.

I guess I don't care that much about it anymore.

No comments: