Sunday, July 11, 2004

I Lift Up My Wife

Last night at work my wife Jennie found out that one of the residents that she's been taking care of passed away yesterday afternoon. She and other nurse's aides and staff knew that it was only a matter of time.

One of the many things I love about my wife is that she is so caring. It is obvious when I hear her share her experiences in caring for these residents that she loves them. She gives her heart fully to them. I'm so grateful to God that my wife is the way that she is.

Perhaps it comes from having to help take care of her own father when she was younger. He was 67 years old when Jennie was born, and when Jennie was about 13 years old, he passed away. For some time before that, her family took care of him at home. But they eventually had to place him in a nursing home because they didn't have the resources at home to continue to care for him the way he needed.

Because Jennie has given her heart to these older men and women, when they pass away, she grieves, too. I told her this morning that I think it's incredible that God blessed these people by having her take care of them during their last days.

It's evident that these residents love Jennie back, too. They miss her when she takes days off and when she leaves at the end of her shift.

What a truly wonderful woman!

No comments: