Thursday, July 01, 2004

Re: 'History of Holes' Quote - via Email

This question came in the email a couple days ago:

date:     2004-06-29 14:34:51
subject:  History of Holes Quote

Hello, I am not what you would call a historian or a quotation buff but I have been given a mission by my dad to track down the earliest known use of the quotation, " The first rule of holes, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!"

In my brief research I have noticed that there are several slightly different wordings which seem to relay the same message. If you could share any wisdom on this subject or point me in the right direction I would be appreciative.

Henry
Here's my reply:
Hi Henry!  Thanks for the email.  I'm replying with an email address that I normally use (The one you used to email me is one I have posted at my weblog/website to collect spam, etc.).

I searched my QuotesBlog and found the quotation, which I posted on Friday, August 23, 2002:
"Follow the rules of holes: If you are in one, stop digging." -- Dennis Healy
http://quotesblog.blogspot.com/2002_08_01_quotesblog_archive.html#80612360
I cannot remember where I found the quotation: it may have been from a Franklin Planner, the newspaper, or from some other source.  I don't even know who Dennis Healy is, for that matter.

I hope that this helps you in your research!  I have posted some links to other quotation websites at QuotesBlog. You may also find those helpful.

Thanks and feel free to keep in touch!
How cool, huh?

Update - Garry left these comments:
Denis Healey is a well known politician on this side of the pond. See the link below if you're interested in finding out more about him...

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/d/de/denis_healey.html

No comments: