Friday, July 23, 2004

The door, the grill, a movie, some songs, and a Book

I having trouble staying awake to type this blog post. What a day. Here goes:

THE DOOR

This morning Jennie caught the bus to a podiatrist follow-up appointment. She left before Keisha left for school.

Shortly after that, two contractors arrived to fix a leaking problem we've had near our storm patio door. They removed the entire assembly and added some flashing. I had to leave for work before they were finished. They locked up when they were done.

THE GRILL

I rode the bike to work, listening to my new MP3 player along the way. Music and cycling go together like peas and carrots.

I arrived at work almost 15 minutes late, and I hit the ground running. After we'd switched from the breakfast to lunch menu, our crew trainer asked if anyone wanted to volunteer for the grill. Not many hands went up, so I volunteered. That meant that, from 10:45 to 3 I was non-stop at the grill. Because of how my schedule is set up, I do not often get sent on a break, especially when the restaurant is hoppin' busy.

I left work at 3 and rode the bike home. I showered -- much needed from sweat and the general "working around a grill" smell.

A MOVIE

Afterward, Jennie and I watched "A Beautiful Mind", which we'd checked out recently from the library. Having seen it, I now understand why it was so critically acclaimed two years ago and why it won so many Academy Awards.

We ate dinner, and Jennie went to bed for awhile before she had to get ready to go to work. Keisha and I cleaned up.

SOME SONGS

After that, I grabbed my guitar and started strumming, practicing, whatever you want to call it. Keisha requested that I play "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", which is in one of the songbooks I borrowed from the library. I showed her how to follow along with the words as I played. That was fun.

I tried "Down By The Riverside", but she wasn't as interested in singing along. Then I sat down and played this song called "The Window", which I got out of a campfire songbook, which I, of course, borrowed from the library. "The Window" takes the first couple of lines from a nursery rhyme and ends it with "out the window. For example
Mary had a little lamb
Its fleece was white as snow
And everywhere that Mary went
She threw it out the window

The window, the window
The second story window
If you don't know your nursery rhymes
We'll throw you out the window
You do this with as many nursery rhymes as you can remember. We did "Humpty Dumpty" and "Three Little Kittens", too.

Then I played "Down by the Bay", which I had first heard from Raffi about seven years ago. It's one of those "add a verse" songs, too. For instance
Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother will say:

Did you ever see a goose
Kissing a moose?

Down by the bay
Keisha and I would take turns with the rhyming part. She started getting really goofy by coming up with her own rhyming words for stuff. After she'd say her part, she'd crack up laughing. That was so much fun.

A BOOK

Finally, I put the guitar away, and we snuggled up on the couch to finish this book we'd checked out from the library. It's a children's poetry book entitled Love That Dog. I read most of the words for time's sake, but I let Keisha read some bits and pieces. It was a really good book. It's a story about a young student named Jack who is exploring poetry and, in looking for inspiration, finds it in a dog.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sounds like such a GREAT evening. :-) That movie is excellent. Russell Crowe did such a good job.

Enjoy your weekend! *hugs*

P.S. Talked to your Mom Wed night. She's such a character and I'm so glad she's doing so well right now!