Saturday, January 04, 2003

Euthanasia

I recently got an email from my friend Dale U. He writes:

In mid-November I had to put Candy to sleep so its very weird being at home with no companionship. Candy had been suffering from cancer and it finally got the last bit of strength she had so I regretfully decided to have the vet put her to sleep. I was there with her when she got the injection of an overdose of a barbiturate. It was very shocking how fast it acted though it was painless to Candy. She was a close part of my life and so it has made the last several weeks a bit sad. Candy was so loyal and dependent to me she won my heart in some deep places. It is a very weird thing to decide that something that is alive should be killed.

I remember finding out that the two dogs we had growing up had to be put to sleep. I had already moved away from home, and I found it rather easy to take. Looking back, it probably was because I was no longer around them much anymore and the attachment had begun to fade. I think about our puppy, Jake, though. We've all grown attached to him, and were something to ever happen to him, I know I'd feel sad.

No comments: