Thursday, January 30, 2003

WebMD | Age of (Even More) Anxiety (or Why I Blog)

"To worry is human; to carry on, divine." Yet another article about worry and anxiety. It is a significant part of my life, so that is why I blog about it, in case you were wondering.

Douglas Mennin, PhD, director of the Yale Anxiety and Mood Center, who specializes in the study of worry and generalized anxiety disorder, states:

Worry serves a purpose -- it pulls us away from the immediate experience of the problem. We run things in our head, but we don't act. People who worry all the time are always in their head. That is the problem. We have to move on with our lives. That's how we are able to live in times of uncertainty. That is the skill we learn. People have done this throughout history.
Yet another reason to blog. I praise God for the technology that enables me to pour out my heart here and elsewhere. Blogging and journal-keeping helps me to sort out what I'm feeling.