Sunday, February 23, 2003

Just Get Happy Already!

I was just visiting damash, and had to post a comment. Here's an excerpt from his post:

Just browsing round a few different "Christian" blogs, there's one thing that stands out. Most people are not having the best of times. Why is that? Why are we never happy? Do you think it's all to do with your perspective? I do. Think about it. Christians should be the happiest people on earth. If you're a Christian, you have nothing to worry about! You know what your future will be. What you do day to day is important, yes, but what you do in eternity is infinitely more important. You should be able to live your life confidently and happily right now because you know where you'll be spending most of eternity.
I might not have been reading his post in context, and it may be that it's 1:15 AM here in Dayton, Ohio USA, but I commented:
Dave, I tend to agree with you, although not wholeheartedly. I think it is important to understand that no one can be "UP" 100% of the time. Even Jesus had his moments of sorrow and grief. Some people, myself included, are more predisposed to depression and anxiety than others. God still commands us to be joyful always and not to worry, yet for many, it comes so easily.

Having mental illness is not something that I've been able to accept that easily. I've often felt, "Hey! You're a Christian! Snap out of it, why don't you?" It's not that easy, and it's rather insensitive for someone to think that way.

I'm learning to accept that my mental illness is partly biological in nature, and, I need to do what I can to manage it, but I also need to accept that God still is with me, even during dark times.

I've also learned that you can have Joy despite the circumstances. THAT is where the perspective comes into play. Paul pleaded for the Lord to take away the thorn in his flesh, but Jesus said, "My power is made perfect in weakness." This caused Paul to rejoice in his weaknesses.

That's my two pence.
There. I'm gonna try to get some sleep before Keisha wakes up again.

No comments: