Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Blogging the Past

I'd like to do some more writing, but I feel a bit distracted by this sinus infection. So I've taken to adding quotations to my QuotesBlog. This exercise has been interesting in that I've been going through old planner pages, since they had daily quotes on them. In addition to culling the quotations, I'm also reading what I'd written for those particular days.

For instance, I'm currently travelling back in time to six years ago, 1997, the year that Keisha was born. I'm amazed now, as I look back, that I was able to get anything done. My job was totally overwhelming me, and, of course, we were getting ready for our new baby. Here are some interesting items of note:

  • Monday, January 13, 1997: Jennie has some stuff on her heart that she needs to talk to me about. To work or not after the baby is born? To work part-time during the rest of the pregnancy, if it's doctor's orders? Will our insurance cover the cost of birthing classes?
  • Monday, January 20, 1997: Jennie missed her bus and caught another one home. On her way back from the bus stop, she slipped and fell, landing on her right hip. Called doctor and waiting to hear back. We got to bus stop late. We left home late. We weren't really ready for the morning. Doctor called back - baby should be fine. Jennie should take it easy and drink fluids.
  • Tuesday, January 21, 1997: Mom and Paul separated. Can't go into details right now. Pray for them. Her new number to come later.
  • Friday, January 24, 1997: Mark (my boss at the time) told me that Materials Inventory due this coming Monday afternoon. Convicted me about my time management.
  • Sunday, February 16, 1997: Felt baby moving! Heard it moving!
  • Thursday, February 20, 1997: Stayed at work until 2 AM 2/21 working on SARA 312/RPCC inventory.
  • Friday, February 21, 1997: Chris Hayes encouraged me.
  • Monday, February 24, 1997: Learned that Rob and April had lost their baby
  • Sunday, March 2, 1997: Ate dinner together with Dad, June, Jason, and Amber
  • Thursday, March 6, 1997: Purchased baby swing, booster seat, and playpen from Beckie Roberts.
  • Saturday, March 8, 1997: Met WHIO-AM late afternoon talk show host Kent Voss at the Baby Fair at Hara Arena. Introduced myself as his "Official Environmental Engineer."
  • Wednesday, April 2, 1997: Paid for bookcase and baby's dresser in full. Thanks to Randy and Tony for helping out.
  • Thursday, April 3, 1997: Jennie noticed some spotting. I came home early from work. Had ultrasound performed at Dayton Medical Imaging. Got pictures. Girl.

That's about as far as I've gotten. I am so glad I recorded some of these things. Especially now, since we're coming up on the 6-year anniversary of them happening.

Did you know that every six years the date is on the same day of the week? It would be seven years if we didn't have a leap year somewhere in that period.

I wish I could express my feelings about reading through these memories. The stuff going on at work would eventually lead to my separating from them in September 1997. As of April 3, 1997, we could now officially call our baby Keisha. I'm close to tears even now as I type this. I've only included small bits that I'd recorded. So many other things were recorded back then, that are important within the context of my life. It definitely feels profound to me.

No comments: