Sunday, February 23, 2003

Dealing with Another's Pain

Acute otis media - that's the medical term for an acute ear infection.

Within the last 48 hours, Keisha has gotten earaches - one for each ear. She has not been wearing her hearing aids, naturally, so we've been using sign language to communicate with her where needed. We've wondered whether this is related to her getting her 6-year molars, since she describes pain from the back of her jaw to her ear, as though her 6-year molars were coming in. Here's what happened:

Friday night we took her to Urgent Care at Children's Medical Center here in Dayton, and the doctor confirmed that she had an ear infection in her left ear. Saturday morning Jennie took her to the pediatrician, who diagnosed an ear infection in the right ear as well.

When the pain is present, it exists as a constant hurting, and all she can do is moan in agony. Fortunately we have her on Children's Tylenol and Motrin, along with the antibiotic Cefzil (insert respective trademarks where applicable). She just isn't her normal self.

Jennie and I, in a way, appreciate times like these, in which we get to care for our lovely 5-1/2 year old baby girl, yet we also hurt, seeing her in pain.

I can personally relate to the pain that Keisha feels. From the time I was born until I was about 7 years old, I would get ear infections at least once a year. My most vivid memory is lying on the couch while my other siblings were around - Mom, too - moaning in agony because the pain was so acute, as I waited for my stepfather to return from the pharmacy with my medicine.

Yet there is someone else who can most definitely relate with the pain Keisha feels: Jesus Christ. And God the Father can most definitely relate with the hurt I feel for Keisha. God the Father watched his One and Only child suffer and die.

I praise you, Heavenly Father, for helping me to know you so much better as a result of the present situation with Keisha.

So Jennie and I are doing "round-robin" duty tonight, which means that, as Keisha wakes up, we'll alternatively meet her needs. I am so grateful to have a Father in Heaven who doesn't need sleep and who provides strength and peace. He watches over us while we sleep. It makes me wonder what he thinks about...

No comments: