Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Some of the More Unusual Drinks I've Made

In response to a previous post about Lynchburg Lemonade, Carla asks:

I've never had this one before but people say that it's nice...so I've gotta ask you Dan, what are some of the more unusual drinks you've been asked to make?

Hmm... the more unusual drinks? Bend Me Over is one. It contains a shot (1 fl. oz.) of Crown Royal whiskey, a shot of Amaretto liqueur, and a splash of Sweet & Sour mix.

Another one is something called a Fired Up Friday. It contains a shot of Peach Schnapps, a shot of Cranberry Juice, and a small amount of Bacardi 151 rum. 151 is the "proof," which means that it contains 75.5% alcohol by volume. The bottle actually has a flammable warning and a flame retardant seal. I poured so many of them one night that I just about gagged from the Peach Schnapps smell.

I love to mix drinks, but I would probably never drink them myself.

One drink that I actually tasted back in bartending school was called a Red, White, and Blue. This is a drink that I would love to have again. Unfortunately, it's not that big. In a 1 oz. "Pony" glass, you layer Grenadine, White Créme de Cacao, and Blue Curacao by "spoon-floating" each liqueur, respectively, 1/3 of the way into the glass. I've been aching to make this drink for the military folks that comprise the majority of the guests at the bar where I work. Right now, I'm waiting for us to get some White Cr&eactut;me de Cacao.

Sometimes, I suggest different drinks to people who may not know exactly what they want. About a month or so ago, I suggested a Blue Margarita to one lady, and she wound up getting her friends to like it as well. It's made just like a regular Margarita, except that it uses Blue Curacao instead of Triple Sec. It tastes exactly the same, too. Only the color is different. The recipe is 1-1/2 oz of Tequila, 1/2 oz of Blue Curacao, 1/2 oz of Rose's Lime Juice, and 3 oz of Sweet and Sour mix.

I also suggested a Sloe Screw to one lady. It contains 1 oz of Sloe Gin (which tastes like strawberries) and 2 oz. of Orange Juice. Any drink name that with a sexual connotation has Orange Juice (Screwdriver, Harvey Wallbanger, for example). More interesting trivia for you to share with your friends.

No comments: