Wednesday, October 15, 2003

My Distracted Mind

I've been having an ADHD moment.

I came home from work this afternoon, at about 5:45 PM and greeted my family. I noticed that Jake, our dog, was very eager to see me. Jennie mentioned that she hadn't taken him out since she'd been home, which was about 4 PM. I started to change my clothes, and I got as far as taking my work shirt off and emptying my pockets. I'd even taken off my belt.

Then the phone rang, and I walked out to the kitchen to see if it was a phone call from someone I wanted to talk to. No message was left, but I did notice that we had a couple messages, so I checked them.

Keisha came in the kitchen and starting calling out, "Oscar... Oscar..." Oscar is my mom's boyfriend, and when she lived with us, he would call almost every day for her, leaving a message that began like this:"Margaret... Maaar-gret... Maaaarr-gret!"

When Keisha said that, I asked her if she wanted to call her Nana later. She said yes. Then I realized that we needed to recharge our BigZoo.com long distance card. To do that, I would need to get on the Internet.

So I sat down at the computer, and, of course, I had to put some music on. So I did. Then I connected to the Internet, and of course, I had to check my email and blogs and stuff.

Then Jennie mentioned that dinner was ready, so we sat down for dinner, and the computer was still connected. We ate dinner, and I returned to the computer. I posted a couple things to my blogs, answered some email, made some comments to others' posts.

I finally realized that I still need to recharge our BigZoo.com card. So, I changed into some jeans and put on the sweatshirt that I'd worn this morning before Keisha went to school.

Also, Keisha's been upset with me because she couldn't find the tiny dolls she gave me before she got on the school bus. I thought I came back inside and put them on the counter, but they weren't there. Did I say she was upset? She was. Very. At me. I told her to go to her room and pray about how she was feeling.

As I've been typing this post, Jennie and Keisha were talking about where these tiny dolls could be. I mentioned to Jennie that I was the "point person" because Keisha gave them to me just before she got on her school bus. Jennie asked me what I was wearing when that happened, and I realized that they were probably still in my pocket. I checked, and yes, they were!

Keisha was glad as I handed them back to her, and she walked with Jennie toward her room. "My Daddy lied," she said. Jennie let out a laugh.

"What?" I asked Jennie.

"She said, 'My Daddy lied to me'."

"Oh."

It wasn't that I was intentionally trying to keep the dolls from her; I'd just forgotten where I'd placed them. I had planned to help Keisha find them, once I got the BigZoo.com card recharged, and - oh yes, that's right - I still have to take the dog out. I'm amazed at his patience. I really am.

So, now, I conclude this post. It's after 7:30 PM. I'm going to recharge the BigZoo.com card like I said I would an hour ago, and then I'm going to take Jake for his walk. After that, I'm going to come home, Keisha will call her Nana, and the world will be in harmony once more.

My world at least. Maybe. Now, where are my shoes?

No comments: