Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Lay Low and Go!

Last night I taught Keisha what she needs to do in case the smoke alarm goes off. I demonstrated to her what it sounds like, and we practiced rolling out of her bed, checking the bedroom door to see if it's hot, then crawling to the front door. We've designated the fire hydrant in our front yard as the safe spot. We also practiced what we'd do if we were downstairs and the smoke alarm went off.

Keisha thought it was kind of fun, and in a way it was, because we were pretending. I look forward to practicing this with her more. Practicing this is especially important since Jennie and I sleep downstairs. My mom sleeps in the room across from Keisha's upstairs.

I think that if I approach these training situations with an attitude that it's fun, it will help her to remember in case she needs to act in a real situation.

No comments: