Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Beachstock Reflections

My friend and brother in Christ, Bill T., and a small group of other singles from the Dayton church of Christ in Dayton, Ohio, went to a singles event in Virginia Beach over the weekend entitled "Beachstock." One of the singles happened to be the mother of the two girls we had over the weekend. Bill emailed me his thoughts from the trip:

Dan,

The trip was awesome! We had 5 people packed into a Dodge Neon... cozy, but fun.

It was supposed to rain all weekend, but God heard the prayers. Saturday, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and it didn't rain Sunday either.

It was really nice to get away and hang with some old friends. I also met some neat brothers from Charlotte, North Carolina, that weren't in the church there when I was living in the Queen City [note from Dan: I think he's referring to Charlotte, although I've most often heard of Cincinnati, Ohio referred to as the Queen City!].

Our group was blown away. That was the first time they had been to any conference outside of Ohio. They finally got to see a glimpse of what I had been telling them the God's church is really like. My old church where I was converted (Charlotte) had 60 people attend. Wow! Our group was impressed by that alone. There were nearly 500 disciples there. It was amazing.

The trip has motivated us (especially me) to stop waiting for someone else to plan activities for us as the singles group. We are talking about having a "movie night" every month and planning on doing a different activity every month on top of that. We need to be creative, and for the longest time, we haven't really had anything going on. Nothing to invite people to except for church.

Nevertheless, it was a great impactful time in so many ways. We have a plan, bro... something about momentum that is infectious.

We had 5 people go this year to Beachstock. My personal goal for next year is 33. I don't know how it will happen, but God works in ways I can never comprehend. I just hope He doesn't expect us to cram 33 people in a Dodge Neon. That would be like clowns going to the circus.

No comments: