Monday, January 24, 2005

What Married People Do - A Seven Year Old's Understanding

First, the skinny on me...

Mood: Alert
Listening to: a collection of comedy I brought from home
Reading: Funny Letters from Famous People | Check out my reading list at Dan's Domain
Eating: cereal, toast, juice, milk, and coffee - that 'complete' breakfast (lol)
Watching: saw The In-Laws (1979) - Alan Arkin and Peter Falk are a riot!


What Married People Do, according to a 7-year old

Yesterday during lunch Jennie, Keisha, and I got into a discussion about what it's like being married. Keisha, who is 7-1/2 years old, was speculating on the kinds of things married people do together. Jennie and I haven't had a "bird and the bees" talk with her, so I kept probing her to see what she knew or thought.

This discussion got started because she was talking about how she's going to live when she gets married, at, um... 18 years old. (Jennie and Dan say, "Yeah. Right!")

It was cute to watch her as she described the kinds of affection she said married people show to one another. Most of her experience of what married people do has come from what she's seen of Jennie and me. I'd like to think we've been discreet when it comes to physical intimacy, i.e., bedroom behavior.

When we asked her what kinds of things she and her husband would do, she blushed and made the sign for "kissing".

"Oh, really?" Jennie and I said. Keisha now had her hand up to her mouth in an embarrassed way.

"On the lips?" I asked.

"Yeah, and other places, too," Keisha replied.

"Like where?" we asked.

Blushing further, she said, "On the body."

"Oh," Jennie continued, "like on your husband's FEET???"

"What about the KNEES?" I asked. "Surely not the KNEES! Oh my goodness!"

By this time Keisha was laughing really hard. Trying to regain her composure, she motioned to her belly and said, "On the belly."

"Really? Oh my goodness!" I said.


This continued for a few more minutes. It was a really interesting exchange.

No comments: