Saturday, January 08, 2005

If I Get Lost

Greetings from the Northtown-Shiloh branch of the Dayton Metro Library!

As we walked in this afternoon, we spotted a notice about a lost dog. Keisha asked the librarian about it, and the librarian said that a dog recently wandered up to the library. Since they don't know who the owner is, they prepared the notice.

Keisha was deeply moved by this. "Poor doggie," she said. "I love dogs."

"Do YOU have a dog?" the librarian asked.

"Yes," Keisha replied, as she shared a little bit about our dog Jake.

I guess I didn't realize how much it affected her until later. I'm sitting at a computer on the other side of the library, and I hear Keisha talking with another librarian about not being able to print something out.

The librarian discovered that Keisha's printouts had actually been printing to the main printer several times! (oops)

Keisha just handed me one of the papers. It reads:

I AM KEISHA I AM FROM OHIO AND IF I GET LOTS PESE FIND ME. JOHNSHONS.

(signed)Keisha Renee Johnson
I told her that I have a card with her picture and information about her in my wallet. Mommy has one, too.

It's something she got done at school when she had her pictures taken in November. The card has her name, school, issue date, grade, and picture. It also has the following information:
What to do if your child is missing
  1. Immediately call local law enforcement
  2. Show this image to authorities
  3. Call the National Center for Mising and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST
Learn how you can help your child stay safer at: www.missingkids.com

No comments: