Sunday, September 25, 2005

Next Podcast Follow-up - Keisha and Walkathon

I mentioned two days ago my thoughts for the next podcast. I'm writing this post to provide an update:

Something for the Kids

Keisha and I decided that we'll do a show together this coming Wednesday or Thursday, when I've been working from home. She wasn't that into it yesterday. It will be a podcast "for the kids", and you'll definitely hear it in the music. Not only so, but you'll get some great commentary and perspective from an 8-year old girl.

Cheryl Dawson Memorial Walk-a-thon

For those that do not know what I'm referring to, here's a link to the post I made back in March 2002, after I'd found out she'd been murdered by her husband: "One More Angel in Heaven".

I collected A LOT of audio footage today. Close to three hours' worth. Most of the time, I had just set the mic to record, so I know I won't be using the entire footage. It does appear that I'll want to break it up into multiple episodes, though.

I got footage from the drive to Sawyer Point, with Keisha and me - maybe I could use some of that for the above podcast.

I got footage from our church service, including some fantastic singing and a message from our minister. Maybe I'll intermingle the songs throughout the podcast, as I would songs I would usually play from other artists. From talking with the sound crew, they didn't record the message. I guess that means that I have the only recorded version of today's sermon. I'll look into pulling that out and send it to the website team; perhaps they'll post it to the website.

Prior to the walk, I was able to interview some church members and family about their memories of Cheryl. Understandably, those that were most closest to her had difficultly. In fact, there were a couple of women who were closest to her that didn't want to be interviewed, just because it was such an emotional time.

I was able to talk with the woman who had organized the event as a way of her dealing with her own grief: not only is she a survivor of domestic abuse herself, but she was present at the time that Cheryl was murdered: she heard it as an audio witness.

So, right now I'm going through the audio, annotating it; i.e., identifying what's being talked about at different spots. Then I'll go back and pull the portions I'll want to use for upcoming podcast episodes.

I also hope to find some related websites, not only for the Cincinnati area, but also some others. If those of you reading this know of any yourself or have any other suggestions, please leave them in the comments, send me an e-mail at danimal0416 at gmail dot com, or call the Listener Hotline: (206) 666-5466 (JIMM) and leave a voice message. I really appreciate it.

No comments: