Thursday, February 03, 2005

Website Updates

There are a few things for me to mention today, so here goes

  • The Skinny on Mr. Big
  • Dan's Links
  • Becoming More "del.icio.us"
  • Post Titles
  • Expandable Post Summaries
The Skinny on Mr. Big

Mood: Upbeat
Listening to: "INXS of U2", a playlist of INXS and U2 music I brought from home
Reading: check out the reading list at Dan's Domain
Eating: pizza that others in the office have purchased - thanks!
Watching: The Stepford Wives

Dan's Links

I've updated the Dan's Links page to include links to local radio stations. Click on the station's logo and head over to hear radio in the Dayton area.

Becoming More "del.icio.us"

In addition, I've indexed posts in the 2004 Journey Inside My Mind archive from July through December. I plan to do this with the entire blog's archives. The posts are labeled with various tags, and you can click the link to any of the tags to view a list of posts and other web pages I've bookmarked accordingly. Right now the tags with the most links are "family" and "humor" respectively.

Post Titles

Moreover, I've begun traversing through the archives, from the First Post to this blog, in order to provide the posts with titles. At the time I wrote them, I gave the posts a title and made the text bold, but that was before Blogger started giving users the ability to create Title tags (or whatever it is they call them).

One side effect of this is that permalinks used in later posts may no longer be valid. If you happen to discover one of these instances, please let me know. I'd like to avoid linkrot as much as possible!

Expandable Post Summaries

Finally, many of the posts are long, so I've taken advantage of "expandable post summaries", i.e., the "Journey Further" link you see on the bottom right-hand corner of each post. (Did you know, by the way, that not every post is set up this way, even though every post has that "Journey Further" link?) What I like about having these is that you're able to condense the amount of text readers see on the main archive page and provide a link so that they can continue to the post page for the rest of it if they want. Hopefully I've set up the expandable post summaries in a way that it's intuitive to readers.

For more information on how to set these up within your blog, read the following article: Blogger Help: How can I create expandable post summaries?

Update, 2/14/2005: I've tagged most of the posts from November 2003. I also revised that month's archive to have title tags for each post. As for 2002, where I began, I'm up through June's archives. That is to say that I've revised that month's posts to have title tags and expandable post summaries.

Update, 2/23/2005: I've finished going through the September 2002 archives. I'm also checking the referrer log to see which posts are being read, and revising those posts accordingly.

Moreover, as I see a post referring to another post that also needs revising, I'm revising that one as well. Clear as mud? Good.

No comments: