Friday, February 18, 2005

Cincinnati Interview - Ready, Set, Go

My wife is on her way to a job interview in Cincinnati. We kept Keisha out of school today because she's not been feeling well. Last night we weren't exactly sure whether Jennie would be able to make the interview, considering that I needed to be at work and Keisha would be off school.

No Children Allowed at the Interview

We needed to find someone to watch Keisha while Jennie was at the interview.

I tried calling Jennie's mom last night to see whether she could watch Keisha for us. After about 20-30 rings (I lost count), I hung up. I prayed about it.

At 7:30 this morning, Jennie tried her again. No answer. Then she prayed that her mom would call back - she has caller ID.

At about 7:45, the phone rings. It's Jennie's mom. Yes, she would be able to watch Keisha. Sighs of relief.

Getting Ready

Since I'm about halfway dressed for work already, I wake Keisha up and get her started to be ready to leave. Meanwhile the dog is whining because he needs to pee, too.

As I finish getting dressed, Jennie hops into the shower, and I call the school to let them know Keisha won't be there today. When Jennie comes out, she mentions needing to print out a copy of her resume to take with her to the interview.

I'm all on top of it. Except that the printer isn't. Streaks of black ink run across the printouts, even after running the cleaning and aligning procedures.

What to do? I offer to print some copies of it out for her when I get to work. I save it to a floppy disk and, just in case, e-mail it to myself.

As Jennie and Keisha finish getting ready, I take the dog outside for a quick jaunt around the area. When we return, I give him a dog biscuit and put him in his cage.

Money for Breakfast

We get in the car and drive to the ATM to get some money so that we can get breakfast. I pray about the day. We get to the ATM only to find that about six other vehicles have beaten us to it. So we head to the actual bank branch just down the street. Jennie prays.

I hop out of the car and walk to the ATM. I slide the card and submit the info for the transaction. Then the machine tells me our account is not authorized. Two more times; once with my card, once with Jennie's - same result.

Then I realize what's wrong: I'd been trying to get money from a checking account when all we have is a savings account! Duh!

I finally get the money, and we grab some breakfast from the McDonald's drive-thru. Keisha and I eat as Jennie drives me to work.

And They're Off!

Jumping out of the car, I head upstairs to my office. I print out three copies of her resume and hand them to Jennie, who waits while Keisha uses the ladies' room. A minute later, they're gone.

We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I hope the interview went well and that she gets the job! Glad it all worked out... crazy day though!

Your Mom called me last night! Was so great to talk to her, she's a riot. Thanks for giving me her info!

Have a great weekend! *hugs*