Monday, December 22, 2003

Christmas Service

Yesterday we had a special Christmas service at church. It was mainly a lot of singing and performing of the Christmas songs of the season. I played "O Holy Night" on my saxophone.

I had really blown it (no pun intended) with respect to practicing and getting prepared for it. I'd also planned to sing "Mary's Boy Child". I'd been blowing both of these off, and I'd even blown off a rehearsal last Thursday night.

I happened to see the brother who was in charge of the program on Saturday evening. I had planned to call him later that evening anyway, to apologize. I used the occasion to apologize to him in person.

Later that evening, we went home, and I searched for the sheet music. You see, I used to have a booklet with music, that I had from the Salvation Army, from when I volunteered there in 1993. When I couldn't find that, I sought online, and I was fortunate (thank you, God) to have found it.

I also needed the exact words for "Mary's Boy Child", and I was grateful to have found them online, too. I also am grateful that we had a recording of the song at home.

I believe that God blessed the spirit of repentance, because I received numerous compliments for my performance.

I was also able to encourage other musicians by telling them that I'm learning the guitar. One sister came to me and said she would like to do a duet, since she plays the clarinet. I offered to do the arrangement myself.

So, everything worked out well.

No comments: