Monday, June 23, 2003

You Can't Take Me Clothes Shopping

I don't go clothes shopping often. It shows. I don't care. Being married has meant that my wife helps pick out clothes for me. I don't like spending money on myself for clothes. I have a big problem with that. I'm not that good at it, and I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather do:

As I mentioned earlier, Jennie packed up a lot of my clothes and we donated them to Goodwill. This, of course, meant that I needed some new threads. Jennie, before heading to work this morning, mentioned that Wal*Mart is a good place. I agreed, but I wasn't that hip to going clothes shopping all by myself.

At about 11 AM this morning, I mentioned to my mom that I was considering grabbing some lunch and heading to Wal*Mart. I promoted the idea to Keisha by saying that we could look in the toy department at stuff she might want for her birthday. Mom wasn't feeling that well, so it would have to be just Keisha and I for the trip.

We wound up doing what I mentioned earlier, instead (see "Her First Time In A Bar - Sort Of"). I knew that if it was just Keisha and I along for the trip, we'd wind up spending the entire time in the toy area.

Which leads me back to why I love my wife. She has the style, the panache, the desire, really - to go clothes shopping for me. I find it boring. I like getting new clothes, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the process of getting new clothes.

As usual, I sought for ways to see humor in the situation. Two things came to mind:

  1. First, I immediately noticed that between the Men's clothing department and the Men's dressing room was the Women's underwear section. (snicker) I told the attendant that I'd thought about grabbing me a piece of women's underwear to try on with my shorts and other stuff. She said, "I wouldn't stop you, if that's what you REALLY want to do." I also mentioned this to Jennie, to see what kind of reaction this would get out of her.
  2. Secondly, as I was trying on a pair of shorts, I felt the urge to break wind. I hurriedly got out of the shorts and did my business, trying hard to be discreet. But that got me wondering, how many other men had tried on that same pair of shorts and broke wind in them? Have you ever thought of that?
Update: Jennie (not me) just came back down from showing the new clothes to my Mom. I really wasn't that excited about it. I guess you probably figured that out.

No comments: