Sunday, October 23, 2005

Some More Sunday Musings

Another quick update before we finish getting ready for church:

I really believe in spending time with God every day. I think it's better to pray beforehand, and afterward to have personal Bible study. That way, as I pray, God prompts me with something I should study in the Bible.

This morning, while taking our dog Jake out for a walk, I was listening to some instrumental music I'd gotten off the internet - not only from the Podsafe Music Network but also from Download.com.

Among the selection was Rob Costlow, whose music I played for JIMM 16 - The Cheryl Dawson Memorial Walk-a-thon. I remembered that this week I finally spoke with Cheryl's stepmother about the podcast. I hope that she's been able to listen to it.

That also got me to thinking about how the artists have made their music available so that we podcasters can promote it. The goal of this is to generate sales of their CDs, similar to mainstream radio.

I have not bought a CD myself in years. I've usually just gone to the library and checked out something from there. Also, I haven't placed a lot of value personally on buying CDs. But I think I've gound a way to get past this feeling so that I can support the artists.

The holidays are approaching. We can give the gift of music. I podcast largely because my Dad had music going all the time when I was growing up. My appreciation for all kinds of music stems from my childhood. Just listen to the previous podcasts, and you'll get a bit of an idea of my musical taste.

So, while I wouldn't necessarily buy a CD for myself, I can buy one as a gift for someone else. That may sound obvious to some, but to me, it was a new realization.

Now I just need to make sure I know the musical tastes of those to whom we'll be giving presents this season.

What that really has to do with God, I'm not exactly sure yet.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

The answer is simple, Dan. God wants us to enjoy life and enjoy more abundantly!