Thursday, July 07, 2005

My BlogMap!

I have for some time been interested in finding other bloggers in my neighborhood or otherwise in my town. Through the power of the internet, geographic information systems (GIS), and some other stuff that we'll just call "automagic", I'm able to do just that:

I browsed over to Garry's blog this afternoon and happened to see that he has a BlogMap. I decided to check out what was involved in getting one myself, so I headed over to Feedmap.net.

I remembered seeing something a little similar at World as a Blog, specifically the documentation related to "geo-coding" one's blog: GeoURL ICBM Address Server. I went to the Tiger Map Browser (for US only), entered my zip code (you can also enter your city and state) and retrieved my coordinates. I did the same thing over at GeoTags.

Then I opened the template for this blog and added the meta tags in the HEAD section. After saving and re-publishing, I submitted my blog to Feedmap.net and subsequently retrieved my BlogMap, which I then added to the sidebar of my blog.

Isn't science wonderful?

No comments: