Saturday, April 30, 2005

Welcome Home, Zoe!

We have a new member of our family:

The Need, the Prayer, and the Answer

Yesterday Jennie called me at work. A family in our church was moving, and they were not able to take their cat Zoe with them. The family was moving today (Saturday), and they urgently needed to find a good home for their cat.

I said okay. I've never been a cat person, but I think that God has been changing my heart lately. Besides, Keisha has been praying for a cat for some time, and what a great opportunity this was to see her prayers being answered.

We got directions to their place - just across the Ohio River in Kentucky. When we called later that evening to see if we could pick her up last night, the owners said that they couldn't find her. It was obvious that Zoe knew something was going on. We agreed to call back later to see if they found her. They did, and we drove last night to get Zoe. The owners gave us her litter box, toys, food supplies, and carrying crate.

Jake, Meet Zoe
As soon as we arrived home, Jake knew something was going on. He was just curious about what was in the carrying crate, but Zoe, who is normally shy, was terrified - as evidenced by her repeated hissing.

We sent Jake to his bed, and Keisha and I brought Zoe into her (Keisha's) bedroom. We let her out, and she looked around. Then, when we opened Keisha's bedroom door, Zoe raced out and hid under our bed.

Gone Into Hiding - For Now

That's where she's been for most of her short time at our place. Except for at 3 AM this morning. I was asleep, but all of a sudden I heard some meowing, and I looked over to see that Zoe had crawled out from under our bed to look around. I tapped my chest to see if she would hop on the bed, which she did. I petted her for a little while, and then she hopped back down and crawled back under the bed.

We Still Love Our Jake

In one sense we are glad that Jake is bigger than he was when he was a puppy. He used to be able to crawl under the bed, too. Now, he can only fit his head under the bed, which he's done here and there, to check on the new animal that is in our home. This also has meant that he's a bit more eager for our affection. The slightest hint that we want him to come over yields a flurry of exuberance.

No comments: