Thursday, April 07, 2005

Making a Major Purchase - Gasoline

I did it. I finally broke down and made a major purchase. But it wasn't without its inherent difficulties.

I'm talking about buying some gas for our car, naturally. Here's what happened:

Shopping Around - The Internet

Yesterday, as I pulled into work, I noticed that our car was going to need some gas soon. In the afternoon, I went online to GasPriceWatch.com to check the prices at filling stations around here. I found a station that was on the way back to Cincinnati (I still work in Dayton).

Thursday Afternoon Reality

As I headed home, I saw that the price for a gallon of gas at the station was actually much higher than I'd seen online. Gas stations always raise their prices on Thursdays. I glanced at the fuel gauge and decided to continue on, hoping to find a better price as I continued home.

At Home, Unfuelled

Arriving home, I had not found a better price for gas, so I didn't buy any. The fuel gauge still said that it was okay. Perhaps we'd get some as we went out for the evening to go to the store and the library (see "Mind Change Needed").

As we returned home last night, Jennie and I remembered that we'd forgotten to get gas. "No problem," I said, "I'll just get some on the way to work tomorrow morning."

The Next Day

This morning I was late in leaving, but determined to get some gas. I decided to forego the shortcut that would bypass the commercial area that is Colerain Avenue and, instead, made the trip north on Colerain, checking the prices at gas stations along the way.

By the time I reached the entrance ramp for I-275 eastbound, I still had not gotten any gas. I'll pull off somewhere off I-75 and get some, I said to myself.

Listening to a Book

I mentioned earlier that I've been listening to the audiobook on cassette of Jeffrey Deaver's "The Vanished Man," (see "Aunt Nominated for Award")and I guess I got really into what I was listening to because I'd stopped looking at gas station prices.

That Familiar Shudder

Until, of course, the car began that familiar shudder that indicates it's close to conking out. I've ran out of gas with this car two other times since friends from church gave it to us last October. Fortunately, I was able to get on the Ohio 73 Springboro exit ramp.

Come on, I said to the car, trying to keep the car going. I spotted a Sunoco gas station sign just off the exit ramp. Just a little further...

Then, right as I made the turn onto Ohio 73, the car conked out. I turned on the hazard lights, put the car in neutral, tried to start it, but to no avail. I opened the door, got out, and began to push the car toward the Sunoco station entrance.

Not What I'd Expected

It was then that I noticed that the sign indicating the prices for the different grade of gas was blank. Sure enough, the station was closed - out of business or something. Great, I thought, slowly inching the car toward the entrance anyway, as I glanced around for other nearby gas stations.

The Good Samaritan and a Near-Miss

Just then a red SUV pulled around into the Sunoco station, and a man came out to help me push the car into the lot. "Hop in," he said, "I'll take you to the Speedway down the road."

The man - I never got his name - pulled his SUV next to a pump, and I went toward the store entrance. As I got closer to the door to the store, I stepped on what I think was a small oil slick, almost losing my balance. Close call.

A Confused Clerk

I asked the manager where the gas cans were, and he directed me to them. I picked one up and went to the cashier. "I'd like to buy one gallon of gas and this gas can," I said.

She seemed a little confused, as though she'd never had a customer pre-pay for one gallon of gas. "87 octane on pump 5, please," I added, giving her some money.

The Cost of Procrastinating

After I filled up the gas can, the good samaritan drove me back to my car at the vacant Sunoco station. "Thank you so much," I told him. "I could have saved a lot of money and time if I'd just stopped somewhere sooner to get some gas."

"Just be sure to do this for someone else who may be stranded on the road," he replied.

"Like in that movie "Pay It Forward" with Kevin Spacey and Haley Joel Osment," I said. As he dropped me off, I thanked him again, added the gallon to my tank, and drove back to the Speedway.

Finally Fueling

Walking back to the store entrance, I slid on the same oil slick, nearly losing my balance again. I went inside, got a drink from their cooler, and returned to the same cashier I'd had just minutes before. "We meet again," I said. Handing her a $20 bill, I said, "I'd like to pay for this drink and use the remainder for gas."

Before I left the store, I made sure to mention the oil slick to the manager. Then I went to the pump, fueled the car, and drank my energy drink. After that, I got back in the car and continued my journey to work.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

your procrastination about buying gas is inherited. Your Dad would put in 50 cents at a time and then a dollar. Of course that was way back when. When gas had gone upo to ---33cents a gallon. highway robbery everyone said.We ran out of gas too many times.
Add up the price per gallon you save ( 2-3 cents ) by how many gallons and it is relatively minuscle. Now add up how much you make per hour and if you were late for work. Which is greater. Or if you had to have Jennie and Keisha stranded in the car like your Dad did me, you and Steph too many times.
Iis good to be prudent and a good steward of what we have but we are also called to be sensible and see the larger picture. Safety first, always.