Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Getting Ready for the Big Day

Getting Ready for the Small Print

Mood: deliberate
Listening to: K-Love
Reading: Visual Basic 6 Object-Oriented Programming
Eating: McDonald's Steak, Egg, and Cheese Bagel; hash brown; 16 oz coffee with three creams and one packet of sugar; one Granny Smith apple


Getting Ready for the Big Day

Last night after dinner we went to the Super Laundry to do laundry, of course. Also, I brought along some stuff with which we could do our taxes. Federal and state income tax returns for 2004 must be filed by this coming Friday, April 15th.

Getting Ready for the OTHER Big Day

My birthday is this coming Saturday, April 16th. I share it with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar , a woman from church, and a co-worker. Lately it's been hard to look forward to my birthday until we've filed our tax returns, but since we're getting very close, I'm glad to share about a card that my daughter Keisha, who is almost 8 years old, made me yesterday:

On an 8-1/2 by 11 sheet of notebook paper folded in half, she had drawn on all four sides of the card with crayons and pencil. The front has a blue background, and a card in red, blue, and black stripes on it, with the words "I Love You Dad".

I open it up, and the inside left reads as follows:

Happy Birthday!

Dear Birthday -
Dad have a great
BirthDay Day 35 will be
great! your Love is
so sweat you know
you are so, so, so, handsome
true Love. from Dad and Mom
to: Dad
from Keisha
The 'g' in great (both times) is written backwards as is the 'y' in "you know you are". The "i" in Keisha has a heart for the dot.

On the facing page - i.e., the inside right side - is a picture of a girl looking at the words on the left side. This girl is wearing a black turtleneck with a purple-beaded necklace. Her hair is black, straight, and in five brown bows. Keisha told me that it's her. Inside the face is written:
how old are you?   35.
Turning the card over to the back, I see on another blue background, a red plate with a spatula, a knife, and a lit birthday caked colored in black, blue, green, and red stripes.

But that's not all! Keisha had found all the paper money Jennie had left on our dresser, and, with some tokens from an arcade we went to a long while back, put it all inside this card! I gave the money back to Jennie, of course, and put the tokens away, but the heart behind what Keisha did just made me feel so special.

My daughter is AWESOME!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

That's my Keisha. I wish the whole world had her heart.She is special and unique. Well, everyone is but you know what I mean. Remember her Barbie birthday balloon? Everytime I hear its someone's bday I go back to that episode for some reason. It was so funny as it was losing air and she kept wanting to " share " it with me!
You are so blessed.