Thursday, January 15, 2004

Now that I have your attention

I'm thinking of my own views on death. I don't really know if "views" is the exact word for which I'm searching. As an amateur detective, someone who, for whatever reason, decides to unravel the mystery behind someone's death, I can see that so many themes can be used. What I'm trying to do is to identify some of those about which I feel most strongly.

Death is not the end.
In death the departed leave something behind for all of us: memories, character, legacy
Christ died for mankind.
The substitution death; i.e., someone else died and it could/should have been me.
Death is a kind of justice in some ways
Death as the relief of suffering
Death as the inevitable end to all of our lives here on earth
Man's struggle to stay young, to cheat death; e.g., search for the Fountain of Youth
Death as the great equalizer for all of us; worldly status ultimately means nothing as we all become dust

No comments: