Friday, January 30, 2004

Motivation

Like others (too lazy to point out specific links right now) I'm dealing with my overall motivation for blogging. One could say that there is a bit of a famine among the blogosphere. Could it really be that there isn't much to blog about? I guess it depends on why one blogs in the first place. Is it to appeal to a specific audience? To attract the attention of other bloggers?

"To thine own self be true:" I blog for myself. If someone else reads it, then that's okay. I'm recording these things in the journey inside my mind for me.

But what of the other blogs I maintain? I've always considered "Letters to God" to be personal. That's why I don't have comments or a referrer log. I don't really care who else reads it. "Streams of Consciousness" is my own creative writing weblog. I recently removed comments and the referrer log from the template. I revised the settings to make it a private blog, but I'm not sure if it's working or not.

Then there are the other two, more public, blogs. "QuotesBlog" is something I maintain because I'm a little obsessed with collecting quotations; so I guess, in a sense, it's still for me, even though I have comments, a site meter, and am a member of a quotations webring. "Get That Job!" is something I originally started for myself, and it was good timing, because, in it's 1-1/2 year life span, it's become a popular site for other job seekers.

I started these blogs for myself, and I continue to maintain them for myself. I guess I can get a bit sidetracked from time to time in thinking I need to write something that others will be interested in. After all, I'm not getting paid to write!

Almost everything I've recorded in these blogs about myself has been true; I haven't made it up. But what if I did? How would you know? I guess there are those that know me a bit more closely than others; these folks might pick up that something is amuck. So what? I ask this question out loud for myself to hear.

I feel the temptation, because I know that this blog is being read by others, to do some self-editing. I'm finding that it's hindering the creative process, so I need to change. Who knows? I may even start up another blog under a pseudonym just so that I can regain some anonymity.