Thursday, January 15, 2004

"I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up."

I made that statement yesterday at a gathering of other job seekers at Sinclair Community College. A brief history of my education and experience:

  • I have a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering
  • I was an Environmental Engineer doing environmental management for a manufacturing company
  • I was a programmer/consultant
  • I am a bartender for a hotel and conference center
I remember when I met with the guidance counselor in high school, he told me that he could see me doing a number of different kinds of jobs, based on the talents and aptitude he'd seen in me. I had dreamed of becoming a Renaissance Man back then. I don't know if I've found something that fits just yet. To quote U2, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

At the same time, I realize that no job is going to be a perfect fit. There are always going to be times when the passion wanes, when there is other "non-fun" work to be done, too. I guess it's a matter of seeing whether the benefits outweigh the costs, evaluating the trade-offs. For example, I have a friend who designs cars for a major automobile company. He loves that part of his job so much that he is able to live with the long hours and the long drive to and from work.

I guess I want to find something in-between, too.

crossposted to Get That Job!

No comments: