Sunday, September 21, 2003

Relics, Family Heirlooms, Souvenirs

Mom's cleaned out a jewelry case that my Dad gave her before they were married. It was the first gift he'd given her. Tonight Mom gave it to Keisha.

Some of the items she's given me from it include:

    A Good Samaritan Hospital bracelet I wore for one of my operations when I was very young. It's inscription says:
    JOHNSON, DANIEL A., JR. 301703--5
    DR. J. IBANEZ/E. GAW (C) 04
  • A pair of cuff links that my maternal grandfather, Charles H. Mitchell used to wear
  • A tie tack I received for my First Communion at Corpus Christi Catholic church when I was in 3rd grade
  • Obituary clipping for my cousin Richie Johnson, who passed away when he was only 2 months old. It reads:
    Richie Johnson
    Richie Lee Johnson, 2-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald E. Johnson, of 822 Nesslewood Ave., died Wednesday in his home. Also surviving are his brother, Donald E., Jr.; grandparents, Mrs. Delphine Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Erwin, and great-grandparents, Mrs. Mabel McGraw and Mr. and Mrs. Casper Ciaciuch. Graveside services will be today at 2 p.m. in Calvary Cemetery. Arrangements are by the Abele Mortuary.
  • My mom's first application for her driver's license, dated August 31, 1973, which was just before her 21st birthday. Her handwriting hasn't changed that much over the years.
  • A cloth ring my Dad gave her instead of a real wedding ring, because he couldn't afford one yet.
  • A poem my Dad's sister, my aunt Beckie, wrote, entitled "Mom, You're an Angel." I'll post it in a separate entry.

No comments: