Thursday, September 04, 2003

Lizard Spit!

When I saw the title of this article, I thought I was surely mistaken, perhaps because of the cold beer I've been drinking. The beer is Miller Genuine Draft in a 24 ounce can, the equivalent of two 12 ounce bottles, which I might also drink in one sitting. It's been awhile since I'd had lighter lager beer; my beer of choice has lately been Guinness (the spelling of the name doesn't appear right - maybe it's the beer again).

Back to the article. I'd heard something about this on TV or the radio last week, but I couldn't find a link on the 'Net to reference in a blog post. Now I do. Amylin Pharmaceuticals and Eli Lilly are developing a drug called exenatide from the venom in the saliva of the Gila monster. The venom helps to stimulate the lizard's metabolism, and scientists have found that the molecule works in humans, too.

No comments: