Saturday, April 26, 2003

It's Scary Down There!

One thing I am definitely afraid of, to the point where I dread having to deal with it myself -- so much so that I shudder -- is looking for something in my wife's purse. It's like a black hole down there! There have been some times that I have mistakenly, and with immediate regret, forgotten this and have gone searching for something inside there. Usually I've been looking for something, and my wife tells me that it's in her purse.

How badly I want whatever it is that I'm looking for is in direct proportion to the level of effort I take in looking inside my wife's purse. And the extent.

For example, I remember dumping my wife's purse out when somebody came to our house to get their car keys back. Jennie was not happy about that. As if there was some sort of order to it anyway! (just kidding, honey!)

Tonight when she was going through her purse she found a vital part to Keisha's FM system: the receivers, which attach to her hearing aids. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll provide a brief explanation. By wearing hearing aids, Keisha gets amplified sounds, targeted to the specific type of hearing loss she has. With this setup, however, she hears not only sounds she wants to hear, but also other environmental sounds as well. Have you ever hooked up headphones to a tape recorder and listened while you record? You hear not only what you're trying to record, but the sound of the refrigerator, feet squeaking on the floor, and so on.

The FM system provides a way for Keisha to hear sounds specifically targeted to her. When we wear it, and she has the receivers on her hearing aids, she can hear us better over the other sounds.

It's been months since we've used the FM system, and I'm glad Jennie was the one to go through her purse to find them.

Now, if we can only find my keys.

No comments: