Thursday, April 13, 2006

Gramps' Retirement Mug

Mood: groovy
Listening to: 43 Folders podcast
Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Eating: I guess breakfast is in order, huh?
Watching: last night, saw the end of FX's "Black. White."


The Tax Man cometh!

We've usually been really good about filing our tax records from previous years. Right now we're trying to figure out where we put last year's tax return information. That has led us to sorting through file cabinets and boxes we haven't looked in since before we moved last year.

Jennie was sorting through a cedar chest, and she found something of my maternal grandfather's. He was my Mom's Dad, affectionately called by us grandkids as "Gramps".

The object is an English pewter mug. The bottom has this engraved on it:

Leonard Eales of Sheffield since 1779
English Pewter
Made in England
The engraving on the front reads as follows:
C. MITCHELL
C.F.D.
5-18-42 11-11-74
The bottom of the mug is a clear polycarbonate material.

My grandfather started with the Cincinnati Fire Department before World War II. The station is located at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow in Cincinnati. I remember, when I was 3 years old, visiting the station. My Mom took some pictures of it. Maybe I'll get to scan those in and revisit this post, to show them here.

One picture is one of me sitting behind the wheel of the fire engine. Another is of me wearing Gramps's fire helmet and boots. Too cute!

I think we'll wash this mug out and put it somewhere for safekeeping.

No comments: