Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Brutal Honesty of Children

Mood: alert and ready to go
Listening to: music from the Podsafe Music Network
Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2 chapters left!)
Eating: Dunkin' Donuts - everything bagel with plain cream cheese, chocolate milk


Seven to nine year olds can be brutally honest. Here are two examples:

  1. A couple weeks ago I'd gotten my haircut really short. At church, I asked one of the boys in Keisha's class what he thought of my new haircut, since it was cut so short.

    "I can see your bald spot," he said. I think he meant that he could see my scalp because the hair all around was short. At least that's what I hope he meant.

  2. This morning, as we went to breakfast, taking Keisha to school, Keisha said, "Mom, before you go to work today, make sure you comb your hair. It looks messy."
None of these responses were expected, even though there was truth to them.

No comments: