Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Bad Grammar Begets Griping

One of my pet peeves lately is poor written grammar. While I tend to be more tolerant when English is not the primary language, I don't have a lot of mercy, however, for my fellow Americans; specifically, those who live in the metropolitan area where I live (emphasis added):

  1. On July 11, 2003, I posted a picture showing a sign at a drugstore that reads:"We now EXCEPT the Ohio Direction card"
  2. About a month ago, someone in management from the apartment complex where we live sent us a note, alleging that our dog had defecated on a neighbor's welcome MATT.
  3. Over the weekend I stopped at a Shell gas station and spotted this note on the back of a cash register: "Now EXCEPTING applications".
  4. Yesterday our apartment complex left us a note, stating that our parking lots are going to be resealed and restriped. During that time, the note stated, parking "will not be PER METED" in the areas in question.
Perhaps these people should obtain a copy of the "Vocabulary Builder-Upper", as heard on the Bob and Tom Show.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm not perfect by any means, but it drives me nuts too. I see people that are in management positions, write at a 7th grader level. Scary.

Margaret said...

But Dan the clincher would have been if they had used " you'ns"!!
As in you'ns can't park here right yet!

Anonymous said...

I just have to point out that, for someone who is so concerned with grammar, you have an error in the very first sentence you wrote. "Poorly written grammar" would be the right way of stating what your problem is.