Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Such a Thing as a Free Lunch

There is a new Panera Bread store opening up on Miller Lane, which is really close to where I work. Our office received some invitations to enjoy a free lunch on Panera, to help train their employees before the Grand Opening this coming Friday, April 1st:

Two time slots were available: from 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM and 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM. We were given a slot in which to show up.

As I got ready to head over, I heard that there was a line of people outside the store. For this reason, many folks in the 12:30 time slot decided not to go.

I didn't bring any money to buy lunch, and Jennie had the car today, so I was determined to head over, even if it meant walking. And so I did.

I walked across the "somewhat famous" overpass of I-75 to the restaurant. I took a shortcut through the drainage culvert, which, fortunately, was dry enough for me to walk upon.

When I arrived, someone from the restaurant handed me $12 in play money to go toward my lunch, along with a menu. As I waited in line, I mulled over what to order. I had never spent $12 for my own lunch before, so I wanted to make it meaningful.

I wound up ordering a half of an Italian Combo sandwich (on Ciabatta bread, with oven-roasted beef, smoked turkey, ham, salami, Swiss cheese, peperoncini, lettuce, tomatoes, red onions & their special sauce), a bowl of French Onion soup (in a sourdough bread bowl), and an I.C. Mocha.

I'd heard many orders for "Dan" called out, so I gave the cashier/order-taker the name "Danimal" to distinguish my order from the other Dan's. In all, I had to wait maybe 20 minutes to get my order, which I'd placed as a carry-out.

After getting my order, I ate my sandwich as I walked back to the office. The weather outside is marvelous - in the low 70's - no jacket required.

Windy though, as evidenced by my touseled hair.

Much thanks to the Panera folks for inviting us to help train their employees!

No comments: