Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Caring and Sharing - At Work And At Home

Mood: queasy
Eating: chocolate and ginger ale (for my tummy)


The timing of these events is rather odd.

Consoling a Co-worker

Last week the father of one of the ladies here in the office passed away. She knew it was coming soon, and she only worked for part of the week.

The funeral is today, and many of the folks here are going to it.

My Family Shares Everything, Apparently

I'm not one of those people. I'm trying to get the work I need to do finished so that I can go home. I think I caught whatever bug was plaguing Jennie over the weekend.

For breakfast this morning, I drank some ginger ale. I'd poured me a cup of orange juice but soon shuddered at the idea of putting citric acid in my already upset stomach.

Or Maybe It's My Coworkers

In this office of less than 40 employees, the environment is one of family. It's not surprising that many of them have gone to be with the one who lost her father.

I suppose it's not surprising, either that I may have caught something from one of them. When I arrived yesterday, I'd overheard that my boss's daughter had the same thing Jennie had.

Also the Sales Director came in, talking about how he had a migraine over the weekend, but now he thought he had the flu. "What are you doing here?" I asked him, incredulously. He later left, hopefully to go home and recuperate.

That's what I need to do.

Restroom Foibles

You might find this a bit funny. I was in the men's room a little while ago, conducting what you might call a "very swift major transaction". While waiting in the stall, I spotted yesterday's newspaper.

I turned to the Life section and began working on the crossword puzzle. After I'd completed about 2/3 of it, I decided I should head back to the office.

Just as I was getting finished cleaning up, the lights went off. The lights in the restrooms are motion-sensored, and I was the only man that had come into the restroom during my time there.

(A few weeks ago, by the way, the HR Director and I were eating lunch in the breakroom with one of the ladies. We talked about the lights in the restroom, and she had not ever noticed that they were set up that way.

Our office has over twice as many women here as there are men, so I wasn't surprised.)

I was finally able to get myself together, albeit in the dark. Then, as soon as I stepped out of the stall, the sensor activated and the lights came back on.

Good for me, because I really needed to wash my hands.

No comments: