Thursday, August 22, 2002

"Water Meter Man!"

We just had a visit from Water-Meter Man! The entire visit lasted a maximum of 30 seconds, but my life is forever changed!!! Get the scoop:

Seriously, though, I've often wondered what these guys are thinking as they go inside peoples' houses. My daughter, still in her night clothes, answered the door, but fortunately, did not open it. Our 5-month old puppy has a coniption fit ("good boy!"). My lovely wife and partner, who is faithfully doing laundry, reminded me that the light above our water meter is out.

So I came upstairs from blogging, and let Water-Meter Man in, amid the loudness of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" (my hearing-impaired daughter does not have her hearing aids in). I, bearing flashlight/radio/emergency siren/weather radio, let Water-Meter Man inside (I said that already), explaining to him that our light downstairs where the meter is doesn't work. So I lead him downstairs, shine the light, he glances at the meter, enters something into his "magical gadget", and heads back upstairs and out the door. All this in less than one minute.

"Have a nice day," I said, as he left our castle. I quickly locked our door. Afterward, I encouraged our daughter for coming to get us after opening the door to reveal "Water-Meter Man", and I taught her to come get us whenever someone else comes to our door. And "normal" life resumed.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: