Monday, March 04, 2002

Understanding Written Communication

I was inspired to write this as a result of a conversation Jennie and I had with our friend DB. She received something in an email from another friend of ours, and what it contained seemed to disturb her.

Written communication can be difficult to understand. Since I read words that have already been spoken, I only have that evidence to go on in order to understand the writer's message. More exists than simply the written text. As a reader, I must consider the following:


    What is the main theme?
    What are the main points?
    What is the writer's tone?
    What can I get from the author's choice of words?
    What about the writer's style?
    What bias do I bring as I read?
    What is the mood of the piece?
    What mood do I bring as I read?
    If I know the writer, how is my relationship with him/her?
I propose that with what an author writes, he or she has put forth a challenge to potential readers:
Understand what I'm writing.


While some may consider that idea obvious, I believe it is important to examine more than simply the text an author has given us. To truly understand an author's message, therefore, we must take an active role as we read.